https://ncci1914.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/bdsprint.jpg 201 402 Roger Gaikwad https://ncci1914.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/ncci-new-logo_1.jpg Roger Gaikwad2018-07-10 07:48:172018-07-10 10:55:58Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions
Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions
9th July 2018 marked 13 years since Palestinian civil society gave the call for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions against Israel until it complies with international law and respects Palestinian human rights. It is a moment to remember what a simple idea of non-violent resistance can achieve if people decide to organize around it. For a background to the Palestinian call for BDS, please follow this link: http://indianculturalforum.in/2018/07/09/13-years-of-the-palestinian-bds-movement/
Some of the recent victories of the movement, which people across the world have achieved through grassroots efforts are noted here:
- Socialist International, an association of 140 global political parties, several of them in power, have adopted BDS and have also called for a Military Embargo on Israel: https://bdsmovement.net/news/socialist-international-140-global-political-parties-adopts-bds-calls-military-embargo-israel
- The Argentinian national football team, following sustained efforts in Latin America, Barcelona and Occupied Palestine, cancelled the ‘friendly match’ they were set to play with Israel in Jerusalem: https://bdsmovement.net/news/we-applaud-argentina%E2%80%99s-decision-cancel-israel-football-match
- 11 artists withdrew from the Tel Aviv LGBT Film Festival supporting the call to boycott the festival as it is a platform for Israeli pinkwashing i.e. cynical use of LGBT rights to cover up for its violations: http://www.pinkwatchingisrael.com/2018/05/29/tlvfest-hit-with-wave-of-cancellations/
- Dublin became the first City Council to endorse BDS and discontinued all contracts with Hewlett Packard and DXC Technology for their complicity with Israeli violations of Palestinian human rights: https://bdsmovement.net/news/dublin-becomes-first-european-capital-endorse-bds-palestinian-rights-drops-hewlett-packard-it
- Barcelona City Council has called for a comprehensive Military Embargo on Israel: https://bdsmovement.net/news/city-barcelona-endorses-call-comprehensive-military-embargo-israeli-apartheid
All of these successes have come about due to consistent efforts of people of conscience across the world.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!