STATEMENT OF THE FINDINGS OF
THE ONE DAY SEMINAR ORGANIZED BY
THE NORTH EAST INDIA CHRISTIAN COUNCIL
“CHURCH UNITY, SOCIAL CONCERNS AND RELIGIOUS HARMONY”
AT THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF INDIA, KHATLA, AIZAWL, MIZORAM SYNOD, APRIL 19, 2017.
We, the ninety two participants, representing various Churches and Christian Organisations under the umbrella of NEICC, in the one day seminar organized by the NEICC on April 19, 2017, deliberated on the theme of the seminar through five paper presentations, viz,
- “Problems and prospects of Church Unity”, presented by Rev. Dr. R. Zolawma
- “The Role of Theological Education in Church Unity”, presented by Rev. Dr. Kethozelhou Keyho
- “Gender Inclusive participation in the Church’s Ministry”, presented by Mrs. Gloria Patricia Pohsna
- “Church’s Role in Social Concern”, presented by Mr L. Meru
- “Religious Harmony”, presented by Rev. Dr. B.J. Syiemlieh
After the deliberations, we found that Churches in NE India need to:
- Seriously rethink and review the idea and prospects of Church unity by looking at the posibility of having Church councils at state level. It is proposed that NEICC shall restructure itself to meet the objective.
- Encourage theological institutions under Churches within the NEICC to reflect and address the issues and challenges faced by Churches in the region without dispensing the universal outlook of the Church.
- Promote gender inclusive participation in the ministry of the Church based on a constructive interpretation of the Bible and a critical analysis of the cultural traditions and social customs.
- Be proactive in addressing social, economic and environmental issues confronting the church and society today ranging from corruption, HIV/AIDS, and the preservation of the environment.
- To study the rising trend of religious intolerance in the country and to develop strategies to foster cordial relationship between different faiths.
Rev. R. Lalnunzira