The World Day for Audiovisual Heritage takes place every 27 October. This commemorative day was chosen by UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
The main objectives of designating the date of 27 October were listed by UNESCO:
- raising public awareness of the need for preservation;
- providing opportunities to celebrate specific local, national or international aspects of the heritage;
- highlighting the accessibility of archives;
- attracting media attention to heritage issues;
- raising the cultural status of audiovisual heritage;
- highlighting audiovisual heritage in danger, especially in developing countries.