National Council of Churches in India – Dalit and Tribal/ Adivasi Concerns
Statement of the Consultation for Church Leaders of the Southern Region on “Prophetic Role of Church Leaders in the midst of Injustices”
In partnership with EMW Germany, Christian Service Agency and Church of South India | held from 24 – 26 July 2018 at CSI Centre, Royapettah, Chennai (TN)
S T A T E M E N T
We, 46 delegates from the Member Churches, Regional Councils and All India Christian Organisations of National Council Churches in India met at the Consultation for the Church Leaders of the Southern Regions of India in partnership with Evangelisches Missionswerk in Deutschland (EMW Germany), Christian Service Agency (CSA) and Church of South India (CSI) from 24th -26th July 2018 at CSI Centre, Royapettah, Chennai on the theme: “Prophetic Role of Church Leaders in the midst of Injustices” with the following objectives:
- To re-read the Bible from Dalit and Tribal/Adivasi perspectives.
- To bring contextual awareness of Dalit and Tribal/Adivasi issues, and the imperative importance of Liberation, Equality, Justice and their Rights
- To motivate the church/congregation to participate actively in the struggles of oppressed and marginalized people
- To encourage the member churches of the NCCI to bring out educational policy guidelines from predominantly Dalit and Adivasi perspectives, which could be used by the institutions of the Churches. This education policy will help the excluded Dalit and Adivasi students to obtain more space.
- To make an assessment of the Church’s position and response to the current political situation in the country
- To struggle for participation space of Dalits and Tribals/ Adivasis in the decision making process of the Church and Society
And through various deliberations we realise and condemn: Read more