PRAY FOR THE ‘DENGUE-INFECTED’
Dear People of God,
The NCCI – Unity and Mission, through this ‘PRAYER EPISTLE’ invites all to pray for those infected with Dengue fever that is devastating several lives in Tamilnadu and other parts of India and the World.
Dengue fever is a flu-like illness, spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. The mosquito transmits Dengue by biting an infected person and then biting someone else. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is a severe, often fatal, complication of dengue fever. Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever are caused by any of the dengue family of viruses. Infection with one virus does not protect a person against infection from another.
As per the data of the Government of Tamilnadu, over 17000 people are infected by Dengue. Around 100 have died due to dengue and 333 have died due to swine flu and other mysterious flues. The State Governments are making strong and steady efforts in combating Dengue and trying their best to reduce its vulnerability.
This being the scenario, the NCCI – Unity and Mission calls upon churches, faith based organizations, mission institutions, and the entire faith community to uphold the people suffering from such deadly viruses through prayers and appropriate missional and ministerial interventions. Indeed, it is our Christian duty to remember prayerfully the people of our nation.
Therefore, herewith you are requested to:
- Inform your congregations / Institutions / Students and Staff to protect themselves against mosquito bites.
- Educate (y)our congregations, institutions including hostels / homes to prevent mosquito breeding inside and outside (y)our campuses.
- Avoid visiting areas prone to mosquitoes and encourage people to use long sleeves and full length trousers.
- Encourage people to use mosquito nets and mosquito repellents; supply them to needy communities.
- Please encourage our healing centres (hospitals) to minister the affected with maximum care and support.
- Encourage our congregations to assist the communities that are in need, to opt for proper treatment when they discern dengue and other viral symptoms.
- Feed our children with healthy food to gain immunity.
- Organise awareness initiatives and encourage communities to live in hygienic and clean environments.
- Join hands with and support the initiatives of Governments, Local Bodies, NGOs and CSOs in combating dengue.
Let us be united in faith to pray and work for combating dengue and for healing of dengue-infected persons, people, and communities that live in vulnerable contexts.
The following points may be mentioned in prayer:
- Pray that God’s protection will rest upon people who are vulnerable to serious complications from the Dengue fever, such as infants and children, the elderly, and those with chronic illnesses.
- Pray for God’s healing upon those who are infected with Dengue.
- Pray for wisdom and strength among medical professionals as they deal with nationwide outbreak of different viruses.
- Pray that production of vaccines is increased to supply needed protection, and that the vaccine will be distributed quickly and efficiently.
- Pray that many people will look to God for help, strength, and healing in the midst of health crises.
- Pray for the good health of medical professionals and other personnel who are continually exposed to these viruses.
- Pray for the Government and local authorities and their efforts in combating Dengue and to build better drainage systems so as to clear contaminated-stagnant water where Dengue mosquitoes populate.
- Pray for divine protection from widespread infection developing in schools, airports, churches, businesses, and other places where large crowds gather.
- Pray that the general population will remember and practice good habits, such as good hygiene, to help slow down and contain the spread of infection.
Let us be confident in the knowledge of God’s steadfast love for us, assured of the healing touch of Jesus, and emboldened by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Rev. Dr. Roger Gaikwad Rev. R. Christopher Rajkumar
General Secretary Executive Secretary – NCCI Unity and Mission
Model Prayer for Dengue Victims:
God, our Shield, Fortress and Redeemer,
we as your children come to you in need of your healing power and protection.
Defend us from the maladies of dengue and other diseases
that have made many to suffer in Tamilnadu and other parts in India and elsewhere in the world,
and have claimed the lives of several people especially children and the young.
We ask your divine healing to restore to health all those who are suffering from the infection.
Grant them the strength to endure the pain of their sickness
and experience the consolation of your presence.
We pray for all those in the medical profession who treat and care for those who contract Dengue. May they have the grace of competence and compassion
to minister and heal the sick.
Grant those who are working in the government health agency to act responsibly for the good and well-being of all people. May their expertise on health be heeded and followed by all.
Bestow upon us the grace of faith and hope
that you watch over us with love and providence
and that your will for us is always good.
This we pray through your Son, Jesus Christ, our divine healer, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen
* ‘Prayer Epistle’ is a Prayer Invite to the NCCI Constituencies and all who believe in prayer to pray in unison for the needs of the hour. Please share among your networks and encourage many to pray.