National Council of Churches in India
Indian Disability Ecumenical Accompaniment
Interfaith Round Table on Disability
August 7 – 9, 2017, Pallottine Animation Centre, Nagpur, Maharashtra
The NCCI – Indian Disability Ecumenical Accompaniment (IDEA) is organizing an ‘Interfaith Round Table on Disability from 7 – 9 August 2017 at Pallottine Animation Centre, Nagpur. It is jointly organised by the World Council of Churches – Ecumenical Disability Advocates Network, Spalding Trust, World Vision India and Christian Service Agency. The theme for the Round Table is “Faith Journey Together Towards ‘Inclusive Communities’”
It is a first event of its kind. There would be around 60 participants including clerics, theologians and academicians from major faiths including Baha’i, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Indigenous Traditions, Jainism, and Sikhism from all over India.
This Round Table aims to…
- invite different faith communities, to engage in conversing on ‘disability’ from their own faith and theological perspectives and experiences;
- suggest and facilitate ‘faith-alliance building’ among the faith communities at leadership and religious adherents’ levels to serve PWDs and strengthen advocacy and policy development initiatives.
Features of this Round Table are …
- Listening to Scriptures: “ What do our ‘Holy Books’ say about Disability?”
- Exploring our Religious Traditions: “How do our faith traditions treat PWDs?
- Examining whether our ‘holy shrines’ are accessible and inclusive.
- Getting to know the policies and programmes of Governments that ensure inclusion and how faith communities could join together to make those policies accessible to the PWDs and Public.
- Formulating Common and Collective Faith Based Action Plans.
The inauguration of the Round Table is scheduled on 7th August 2017 at 10:30 am. Honorable Prof. Dr. Siddharthavinayaka P. Kane, the Vice Chancellor of the Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur, and the Most Rev. Dr. Michael G. Jackson, the Arch Bishop of Dublin, Church of Ireland, have consented to be guests of honor at this inauguration. The Rt. Rev. Dr. P. C. Singh – President of NCCI, Rev. Dr. Roger Gaikwad – General Secretary of NCCI, Rt. Rev. Paul Dupare – Bishop of Nagpur Diocese, CNI, Mr. Thomas Cherian – World Vision of India, Ms. Rachna Singh, Member, Executive Committee – NCCI and Rev. Dr. Joshva Raja – Church of England have also consented to jointly inaugurate the round table along with Ven. Bhante Dhammashree Sarathi, Mr. Santosh H. Chahande, Mr. Ankit Bhuptani, Janab. Ahammad Kutty, Prof. Dr. Amrit Kaur Basera , Swami Kedar Joshi Ji and Shri. Hamant Lodha and other faith representatives. As a mark of celebrating unity, these interfaith leaders will join the other participants in planting a tree symbolically at 10.30 am in the Pallottine Campus. The Round Table will conclude on 9th Aug 2017.
The participants will collectively engage in ‘dialogical conversations’ through input sessions, panel discussions, talk-shows, group discussions, practical talks, story-telling and interfaith worship.
For more details please see the Concept Note (.pdf | 371 kb).
|Rev. Dr. Roger Gaikwad
President – IDEA &
General Secretary NCCI
|Rev. R. Christopher Rajkumar
Director – IDEA &
NCCI – Unity & Mission
|Mrs. Cynthia Shinde
Co-ordinator – IDEA